Leon Q. Brin
|Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
- 365 page text for first course in numerical analysis (semester)
- Uses Octave, open source MATLAB clone
- Many of the exercises have full solutions and some have short answers.
- Printed copies available from Lulu for $25 (color) and $10 (B&W)
- Complete source available
- MAA Review of the book
- For more information and to download
This book was developed as the text for a first course in numerical analysis at Southern Connecticut State University as an open source alternative to a classic text such as Burden and Faires. The first five chapters make up the content of a semester course. The style is engaging and conversational. As the author writes in the preface: “Much of the material will be presented as if it were being told to a student during tea time at University, but with the benefit of careful planning.” The exercises are plentiful and well-designed, and many of them have extensive solutions.
- Root Finding
- Numerical Calculus
- More Interpolation
- Ordinary Differential Equations